The shared laneway west of 20th Street serves two functions. It is a vehicular and service access route to existing and new buildings fronting 20th Street. It is also a pedestrian circulation route that connects to pathways and linkages into the Campus.
- The laneway should be enhanced as a comfortable, safe, and aesthetically pleasing pedestrian corridor. Enhanced materials should be used for the laneway including concrete as the surface material.
- New buildings should provide a minimum 2.0m setback from the laneway right-of-way to accommodate a generous sidewalk alongside the buildings, and provide door access to the sidewalk.
- Enhanced materials should be used for the sidewalk in keeping with the quality and design proposed for the public realm.
- Buildings should provide exterior lighting to the laneway so that it can be comfortably accessed at night.
- Any landscape screening used for the maintenance yard should provide clear access to and through the Campus from the laneway.