International Admissions Guide

Your first step to becoming a Brandon University student is to complete the online application form and submit the non-refundable application fee.  Applications for all Graduate and Undergraduate programs open October 1st each year for the next academic session.

Once your application with payment is received, the Admissions Office will email you to request specific documents, however, please note the application and document deadline are the same date, so documents will not be requested on or after the deadline.  We encourage you to apply as early as possible ahead of posted deadlines.


Almost all communications from the Admissions Office are sent by email. When applying, use an email account that you check regularly and add us to your safe-sender list.

Admission Requirements

Admission requirements by country for applicants that have attended only secondary school can be found on the International Required Documents page.  Admission requirements for applicants who have attended accredited post-secondary can be found in our Transfer Admissions Guide.

English Language Proficiency Requirement

All applicants regardless of citizenship status or country of origin are required to demonstrate English language proficiency to be considered for admission. There are eleven ways meet Brandon University’s approved English language proficiency requirement. If you are required to provide proof of English language proficiency to complete your application, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office.

International students who do not meet our English Proficiency requirements may enroll in our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program.

Application & Official Document Deadlines

Applicants must order all official secondary and post-secondary transcripts well in advance of the stated deadlines to ensure they are arrive before the deadline.  Official transcripts must be sent from the granting institution or Examination Authority. Official transcripts may be accepted from the applicant providing the transcript remains in the sealed envelope from the institution.  We also accept World Education Services (WES) credential evaluation reports, directly from WES.

Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied with a notarized English translation. The certified translator must indicate in writing they received the transcripts in a sealed envelope.

English language proficiency results must be mailed directly from the Testing Centre, except TOEFL which may also be sent electronically directly through TOEFL (ETS) if preferred.

The Admissions Office may require a scanned copy of supporting documents such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate, driver’s license, or passport to confirm name change or proof of age. Do not mail originals.

Offer of Admission

Once all requested items are received, the application will be evaluated and a decision on admissibility will be made.  Decisions will be communicated via email and an Offer of Admission will be issued to eligible applicants.

International applicants accepted to Brandon University will receive an email with the Offer of Admission attached. The Offer of Admission is required for the Study Visa package. Visit the Government of Canada Get a Study Permit website for more information.

International applicants in their final year of high school must include a letter from the Principal or designate attesting that graduation from high school will occur before the start of University.

Education Costs

To join us at Brandon University, students will need to have approximately $35,000 (Canadian) to cover their first year of study (September to April) – this amount includes tuition, on-campus residence with meal plan, books and health insurance.  Travel costs have not been included in this figure.  The tuition cost used in this amount is the estimated undergraduate tuition based on a full course load (30 credit hours or 5 – 3 credit hour courses per term).  Learn more about the tuition and fees you can expect to pay at Brandon University.

Paying from Outside Canada

To learn how you can pay your Brandon University account from outside Canada, please visit the International Student Tuition Payment Options from Outside Canada page.

For payment due dates, visit the current registration guide and click on the current academic session.  Then and scroll down to the Financial Information heading and click on “General Information”.

Canadian Immigration Regulations

Government of Canada Study Visa permits

Students must obtain a student authorization permit prior to coming to Canada. The procedure is:

  • Obtain an Offer of Admission from Brandon University.
  • Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Authority.
  • Be prepared to show evidence of enough financial support to cover the cost of study.
  • Find information on the expanded biometric screening on the Government of Canada website.

If your program of study at Brandon University is more than 6 months in duration, you are required to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Once you arrive in Canada, before the course registration deadline of your first semester, you must bring your valid study permit to the Office of International Activities (located in the basement of McMaster Hall).

Health Insurance

Manitoba Blue Cross health insurance coverage ensures that international students have access to health professionals when needed for both emergent and non-emergent care.  This plan has an annual cost and is mandatory.  Applicable fees will be applied to your BU Student Account when you register for courses.  Additional information about health insurance can be found on the Office of International Activities website.

Important Links

Contact Information

Office of International Activities