International Admissions Guide
Brandon University Offers:
- A long history of commitment to International Students.
- One-to-one interaction with professors and research opportunities often not available at larger institutions.
- Innovative scholarly activities, inspirational teaching, and intensive study.
- Courses that broaden horizons, expand points of view, and encourage a critical mind.
- A recognized degree to obtain employment, entry into professional programs or graduate school.
Application & Official Document Deadline
The International Application & Official Document Deadlines are in place to ensure applications are processed in a timely manner to allow as much time as possible to apply for a Study Permit.
An application or document arriving after the April 1 Application & Official Document deadline for first term will be considered for second term. Applicants will be required to reapply and submit the non-refundable application fee for the next academic year if the application or documents arrive after the August 1 deadline for second term.
Offer of Admission
International applicants accepted to Brandon University will receive an email with the Offer of Admission attached. The Offer of Admission is required for the Study Visa package. Visit the Government of Canada Get a Study Permit website for more information.
International applicants in their final year of high school must include a letter from the Principal or designate attesting that graduation from high school will occur before the start of University.
Almost all communications from the Admissions Office are sent by email. When applying, use an email account that you check regularly and add us to your safe-sender list.
In order to attend our university, students will need to have approximately $25,000 (Canadian) to cover their first year of study (September to April). Travel costs have not been included in this figure. Go to the Financial & Registration Services web site for more information on cost.
Paying from Outside Canada
To learn how you can pay your Brandon University account from outside Canada, please visit the International Student Tuition Payment Options from Outside Canada page.
Click here to learn more about the Certificate, Undergraduate and Graduate program available at Brandon University.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
International students will be required to submit evidence of acceptable English language results as recognized by Brandon University. International student may enroll in our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. International students may be eligible for an English language waiver if they have studied in an English environment. Admission requirements by country can be found on the International Required Documents page.
Canadian Immigration Regulations
Government of Canada Study Visa permits
Students must obtain a student authorization permit prior to coming to Canada. The procedure is:
- Obtain an Offer of Admission from Brandon University.
- Contact the nearest Canadian Immigration Authority.
- Be prepared to show evidence of enough financial support to cover the cost of study.
- Find information on the expanded biometric screening on the Government of Canada website.
If your program of study at Brandon University is more than 6 months in duration, you are required to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Once you arrive in Canada, before the course registration deadline of your first semester, you must bring your valid study permit to the Office of International Activities (located in the basement of McMaster Hall).
Health Insurance for International Students and Visitors to Brandon University
Effective, September 1, 2018 Manitoba Health Insurance will no longer be available to international students enrolled at Brandon University. Brandon University is currently looking at options for health coverage which will be made available shortly.
Important Web Pages
- Office of International Activities
- English for Academic Purposes
- International Application Deadlines
- Apply Online
- Future Students
- Residence at Brandon University
- English Language Exempt Countries
- Campus Map
- City of Brandon, located in Canada
Office of International Activities