Basic technology requirements
Ensure you have the appropriate technology for teaching and working online
You’ll want to have a laptop or desktop computer to support your teaching and working. A webcam and headset/speakers and microphone is ideal for synchronous learning activities. While a smartphone or tablet is a good workaround for videoconferencing access, these devices don’t work as well for completing many tasks.
Laptop or desktop computer
- MAC with OSX 10.11 or later / Windows 10
- Extended warranty recommended for laptops and all portable devices
- Webcam for synchronous activities
- Headset/Speakers for synchronous activities
- Minimum 4 mbps recommended
- 10 mbps down / 1 mbps up recommended for synchronous activities and if multiple users in same house (e.g. Netflix and Zoom running at same time)
- Test your internet speed on speedtest.net or fast.com
Depending on your needs, you may benefit from higher-quality video cameras, microphones or speakers. You may want to explore professional equipment rather than consumer-grade equipment.